This year the holidays start Thursday 9th April, Good Friday is the 10th and Easter Sunday is 12th April for 2020. Known in Spain as Semana Santa, this Holy Week is a great time to experience Andalucian culture, which is not as scary as it looks. The colourful costumes are part of the religious ceremony and not to be confused with any other ritual !
- Even the smallest villages take part in the Easter celebrations, so don’t miss out on one of them. Marbella, Estepona, Mijas, Coin all participate with processions and it is one of the most important weeks in the entire calendar.
2. When the processions are over, head for the town squares and local tapas bars and join in the Andalucian fiestas.
3. Winters are short and many beach bars are already thriving so head for one of the busy places along the promenades and boardwalks for some people watching or just soak up the sun.
4. If you are ready to glam it up, the beach Clubs are just starting to open. Laguna Village, The Ocean Club, La Sala by the Sea to Nikki Beach all are worth splashing the cash if you can get tickets for the opening parties.
5. If you want to ski down a mountain in the morning and sunbathe on the beach in the afternoon, then head for the Sierra Nevada. Even in April the resort is open and one of the sunniest ski/snowboard places in Europe.